You know summer is in full swing when the melons start to ripen. Full of water, melons are super refreshing and hydrating – the perfect summer ingredient. Here are a few ways to use them in both sweet and savory dishes:
- Melons aren’t just for fruit salads, they are especially delicious when paired with salty ingredients like olives or feta. Or try them with seafood such as shrimp or squid.
- Cut melons into small cubes and toss with lime juice, scallions, chiles and herbs for a salsa.
- Thread chunks of watermelon, cherry tomatoes and feta on skewers and make a vinaigrette for dipping.
- Don’t throw out that Bradford watermelon rind, you can pickle them! Cantaloupe and honeydew flesh is also delicious with a quick pickle especially alongside a rich meat dish.
- Ague Fresca. Make the worlds most refreshing drink by blending watermelon with water, lime juice and sugar. Garnish with mint and serve over ice.
- Mix strained melon puree with seltzer, or if you so inclined you can also make a boozy soda and mix the puree with your favourite spirit.
- Frozen Desserts. Freeze melon puree and scrape it into a fluffy ice or simply freeze it in ice cube trays for mini ice pops. For a creamier dessert, swirl the puree with ice cream.
Our Black Mountain Watermelons are now being harvested along with our famous large Bradford Watermelons. We also have Honey Dew, Cantaloupes, Piel de Sapo and a new personal size sweet mini watermelons you will love. Visit our online store to see what is ready for sale at www.rumarfarm.ca This week we have:
Red and Green Clapp Pears
Black Mountain Watermelons
Honey Dew Melons
Zucchini and Summer Squash
Cherry, Field and Heirloom Tomatoes
Cucumber Mix and Slicers
Stir Fry Mix
Kale and Swiss Chard
Poblano, Jalapeno and Sweet Banana Peppers
Herbs and Mushrooms
Ruth and Marc